The Hondata Coil Pack Retrofit (CPR) allows the use of 'coil on plug' individual ignition coils on engines with distributor based ignition systems (D, B, F and H series Honda engines). It does this by replacing the stock coil and ignition with an electronic circuit which can drive igniter type individual ignition coils, such as used on later model Honda engines. A Hondata S300 system and either European or US OBDI ECU are required.
The Hondata CPR comes with a wiring harness for your coil packs, a coil pack controller and fly leads for connecting to your distributor and ECU. The CPR is typically positioned next to the ECU inside the car.
PLEASE NOTE - COILS NOT INCLUDED, SHOWN IN PHOTOS FOR ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY
More spark energy than a single coil, allowing a larger plug gap and fewer misfires.
Individual coils are more durable and less likely to fail than the stock igniter and coil.
Additionally, the Coil Pack Retrofit can drive a CDI controller if desired.
- European or US OBDI ECU (not included, can be supplied by CPL separately).
- Hondata S300 system (not included, can be supplied by CPL separately).
- 4 x Honda K series coils (no included, however CPL Racing can supply separately)
- Resistor plugs must be used.
- The coils require a method of retention. B16A, B18C & F22A engines may use the stock plug cover. Other engines require an alternative method of coil retention (not supplied).
- This is a race product. Cranking times may be increased over a stock ignition set up.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Does the CPR work with OBD1 JDM (square) ECUs?
No. This ECU has different output circuitry which is incompatible with the CPR.
- Can I remove the distributor?
No. It is needed for the timing signals. See the CPR help file for more details.
- Is the CPR wasted spark?
No, each coil only fires once per two engine revolutions. This keeps the coils cooler.
- What coils can I use?
Any non-motorcycle Honda coil which has the larger style plug - most 2005-2009 coils will work. If in doubt CPL Racing can supply correctly fitting coils.
- Does the S300 need to be modified?
For more information on Hondata, please see the link below